Jul 10, 2017

Plickers

Another tool recommended by Theresa in the SG Learning Designers Community is plickers https://www.plickers.com/- perfect if you do not want the students to use their mobile phone but cards to indicate their answers. The students can be issued the cards following their index no. and the teacher download the app onto his/her phone. After the teacher asked the question with the options, the students can tilt their card to show the option they have chosen (A, B, C or D). The teacher can scan the students' choices and show the results.



On the teacher's handphone:

Results can be shown e.g. no. who has gotten the correct answer or just the number for the votes. The following are just screenshots of what I tried out at home.




You can choose to download and print the cards for plicker here. https://www.plickers.com/cards

I would recommend the 60 cards cos many of the classes are now 42 or even 43. Then you can choose to print the correct class size even if it is smaller e.g. 40. 

I tried out Plickers and scanning was fast but strange that I could scan those who are seated behind much faster and I had to scan those seated in the first row a few times to capture their choice. Like it that I don't need to get the students to take out their phones to log in. Their names are already captured based on their index number which is good as I tend to get naughty students putting funny names when using Kahoot(though I can kick them out of the game).  The students do enjoy seeing their answers captured and their names highlighted on the screen.

I asked the students for their feedback and most still prefer Kahoot which they feel grab their attention more. Agree to that as Kahoot is more gamified and the element of competition with a music which one of the students commented that she felt her heart popping out. Definitely more engaging in that way.

I also prefer Kahoot in that I could duplicate the questions for different classes. For plickers I have to type the questions again. I added images to Kahoot but not sure how to do that for plickers. I also like Kahoot in that I can export the results to excel and then analyse each student's performance as well as which questions they are weak in.

Update: However this is going to be very useful for lower sec as they will have no access to their handphone in class. Will be trying out with the Sec 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment