Apr 10, 2020

My thoughts on HBL

Made an appeal on SGLDC to go easy with Home-based Learning (HBL).

My principal has emailed to remind all of us to practice self-care and to make sure that we don’t burn out over this period. If school resumes from 5 May, there will still be the catching up of curriculum to do. We need to be able to sustain ourselves for the longer term ahead.

Posting this as I was sharing with another Geography teacher, Shups Lim,  how I alternate between SLS and Google Meet for HBL. After the SLS lesson in one lesson, I will address any misconceptions or AFI when I Google meet them next lesson. I alternate SLS and Google meet (teaching and clarifying) so that they are not overwhelmed. I will also present my screen showing the SLS lesson under monitor and address some of the concerns ( misconceptions, not relevant to the Geog issues, lack of explanation or details).

 SLS can be "live" too using the interactive thinking tool. No need to Google Meet every lesson. I think we have to go easy with HBL. No need to force all learning within one lesson. The HBL can stretch over the following lessons if needed. HBL is a unique experience and we must be mindful that HBL is not just e-learning. Focus on how learning is delivered and not completing all the teaching over the e-platforms.

My plan is of course not perfect. I failed in some areas too. But I learn and modify. Ha ha I must say I learn more than ever. Just look at the tons of resources created in the last few days plus the physical setup at home for HBL

If all fail, I still have all my Google sites which I have took pain to set up in the past few years as well as my Geography blog (olevelgeog.blogspot.com) which I updated current geographical issues.

Geography E-lessons on Google Sites


Thanks to all the teachers for sharing on the community library in SLS. I have also been modifying some lessons on community library and sharing. I have shared one on interpreting geographical data on tectonic hazards https://vle.learning.moe.edu.sg/community-gallery/lesson/view/a9387062-5ff7-4039-8a21-9de905e6f5b8 

 I have modified and submitted another lesson on climograph. I think it is not approved yet. I have modified it from a lesson submitted by former colleague who had used my explanation on my blog how to create climograph using excel. I have changed that to using Google sheet as I feel that it is more readily accessible by the students compared to excel. To prepare them for future readiness on learning how to create a combo chart using Google sheet.

 My write-up here on my blog. How to create scatter graphs, combo charts and beach profile as well. http://ezitnew.blogspot.com/2019/04/google-sheets-to-generate-graphs.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment