Mar 19, 2020

Google Meet

With more Home-Based Learning and meetings online, Google meet is definitely a good tool to use.


Thanks to Rion Tan for his quick guide.






Installed Google meet app on my second hand phone so that the students can still see watching them when I used my laptop to present. Just click on present now and the students will see your screen. You can choose the whole screen or just an app e.g PowerPoint. I prefer whole screen cos I toggle between a few platforms e.g. mind map, the PowerPoint, my Google site with videos  and even my assignment using word document. 

The live lesson in Google meet allows for immediate feedback. Can pause and ask if got questions. I also check the chat box at interval to answer their questions.

And I tell my students to mute all their audio first. Then also reminded them that the lesson will be recorded. So they are better behaved. The lesson was recorded with loom chrome extension. I sent the students the link to the recorded lesson after the Google meet.

Very good tips from John in FB Google suite for teachers.

New Google Meet features that give teachers more control, including putting limits on who can mute and remove participants.
Learn more about these updates: http://goo.gle/2Qy7hbz 

Another guide on Google meet


https://techycoach.com/2020/03/21/google-meet-virtual/


TIPS FOR PRESENTING

~ You can create a Google Meet video meeting by going to http://meet.google.com or by creating a calendar event on Google Calendar. In Google Calendar, there is an option to Add Conferencing.
~ Enable captions so your participants can see what you are saying. This helps in the event that there are audio issues on the other end. It did not pick up what I say correctly so I did not switch this on.
~ Record your meeting. Get started by clicking the More menu (three dots) and then choose Start Recording. When finished, click Stop Recording in the More menu. I did not use this but loom chrome extension to record the session I had with my students.

~ the use of the earphone with mic (came free w my old Samsung handphone) was great. The voice was clearer and I could hear everything clearly with little noise.

~ I used my laptop for presentation and set up another log in with my hand phone so that my students can still me. It helped me checked that my presentation can be seen by the participants too.

~ remind the participants to mute the audio or there will be too much noise interference.

Shows everyone in a Google Meet - based almost entirely on Chris Gamble's Userscript [1], just packaged as a proper Chrome Extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-meet-grid-view/bjkegbgpfgpikgkfidhcihhiflbjgfic
Update 7 April 2021
Create breakup rooms using Google calendar



No comments:

Post a Comment